Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Twitter Account for Sale on eBay

As a member of the "web industry" it's hard not to feel immense pressure to own a Twitter account. Why - is not certain. In fact, I wade through hundreds of articles pondering the point of Twitter a day. And yet, I own one. I have yet to determine the value of Twitter, though I find that I appreciate it most when I want to update the world on a social event in which I am taking part.

For example, I used Twitter the most I ever have at SXSW Interactive - where I could follow and tweet updates on events hundreds of like-minded individuals were attending, including the Zuckerberg fiasco. I must admit, too, that my fingers were itching for a keyboard or cell phone when I stage managed the 2008 Austin Poetry Slam Finals - eager to be the first one to announce the Finals Team members' names for Nationals.

But can Twitter aid in online marketing initiatives?And does its use have monetary value? Andrew Baron thinks so, and has put his Twitter account with 1,400 followers up for sale on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160229562828

The verdict? Well, so far it's worth US $1,550.00 to someone.

No comments: